Welcome!

Hello everyone, and welcome to 111 Archer Avenue. What started as a film review blog has become my online judgment forum. I will review the occasional movie or DVD, post an interesting trailer, critique a newly-read book, talk about sports, and share my thoughts and opinions on random issues. You can also follow me on Twitter (@OlieCoen) or check out my work on DVDTalk.com. Thank you and enjoy!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sports - The Feisty Foxes


So last night was my fantasy baseball draft.  I'm a part of my wife's sister's league, the Gold Hitters.  It's basically my wife's family, it's a 14 team league now, and it's a lot of fun.  I started in 2009, and although I've always liked baseball (and especially the Cardinals) it was then that I began to learn the game and its players.  I didn't do so hot the first year, but I've been improving:
  • 2009 - 10th of 12
  • 2010 - 4th of 12
  • 2011 - 5th of 12
  • 2012 - 3rd of 14
But it's the playoffs that always get me.  My guys are hurt, they go cold, or I'm just not prepared, because I always lose when it counts.  This year I hope to keep moving up and soon win the Championship.  Anyway, here's my team this year.  I drafted last, but then I got two picks in a row, so it wasn't too bad.
  • Ca - A.J. Pierzynski (CWS)
  • 1B - Billy Butler (KC)
  • 2B - Brandon Phillips (Cin)
  • 3B - David Freese (StL)
  • SS - Troy Tulowitzki (Col)
  • LF - Jason Kubel (Ari)
  • CF - Jon Jay (StL)
  • RF - Andre Ethier (LAD)
  • Uti - Michael Young (Phi)
  • SP - Justin Verlander (Det)
  • SP - Zack Greinke (LAD)
  • SP - Jordan Zimmerman (Was)
  • SP - Ian Kennedy (Ari)
  • SP - Hiroki Kuroda (NYY)
  • RP - Craig Kimbrel (Atl)
  • RP - Steve Cishek (Mia)
  • BN - Carlos Ruiz (Ca, Phi)
  • BN - Colby Rasmus (CF, Tor)
  • BN - Brandon Moss (1B, LF, RF, Oak)
  • BN - Jeremy Hellickson (SP, TB)
  • BN - Wade Miley (SP, Ari)
Usually I pick power hitters early (1B or 3B), but this year I tried to pick middle infielders and pitchers early, and then fill in the rest with second tier guys that are still powerful.  We'll see if it works.  My pitching is strong, I just need guys to produce home runs.  Hopefully Tulowitzki is back to form this year, and Kubel's power last year wasn't a fluke.  I feel like I got a lot of good players cheap, like Ethier, Jay, and Moss, but again, we'll see.  Should be a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment