Welcome!

Hello everyone, and welcome to 111 Archer Avenue. What started as a film review blog has become my online judgment forum. I will review the occasional movie or DVD, post an interesting trailer, critique a newly-read book, talk about sports, and share my thoughts and opinions on random issues. You can also follow me on Twitter (@OlieCoen) or check out my work on DVDTalk.com. Thank you and enjoy!

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Movie Trailer - The Water Diviner

Director: Russell Crowe
Starring: Russell Crowe, Olga Kurylenko, Jai Courtney
Release: December 26th, 2014

Now Russell Crowe is directing himself?  He's never come off as a brilliant mind to me; a talent, sure, but not a genius.  I can't see him starring in a film that is his directorial debut without falling back on a film-ruining amount of standard & expected plotpoints, lines, and emotions.

2 comments:

  1. I think this looks interesting. A good tearjerker that any mother can get behind. I've never understood how an actor could act and direct at the same time. What's the draw? Is it more money or more creative control? Not having another person tell them what to do? I'm no actor, but I would think a good director offers a fresh perspective and could bring out the best in the actor. With the position held by the same person, there isn't that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, control I guess, the ability to make an entire movie in your vision. But you also need to know when you're better off just letting someone more talented make the calls.

      Delete