Welcome!

Hello everyone, and welcome to 111 Archer Avenue. What started as a film review blog has become my online judgment forum. I will review the occasional movie or DVD, post an interesting trailer, critique a newly-read book, talk about sports, and share my thoughts and opinions on random issues. You can also follow me on Twitter (@OlieCoen) or check out my work on DVDTalk.com. Thank you and enjoy!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thought - Mother's Day


Again, I don't mean to be so cynical, it just comes naturally.  But I have a few thoughts on Mother's Day, and Father's Day for that matter.  First, let me just say that I have a very good mother.  Growing up, I never saw my mom being lazy.  She worked hard every single day not only to make money for our family to survive, but to cook, clean, teach, and to just be present in my life.  And my wife is the most amazing mother I could imagine; I married her for that exact reason, as it was apparent from the start that she would be a perfect companion to have a family with.  She is dedicated, loving, playful, and always treats our children with respect and care.  But like I said, I'm cynical by nature, so even with these two great examples I still feel grumpy come holiday time.

I won't rant about the commercial aspect of Mother's Day, because everyone knows that all festivities are now centered around buying things.  Commercials make you feel like a horrible person if you don't buy your wife and mother diamond necklaces, when all they really want is a hug, an "I love you", and maybe a nice meal.  They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I've discovered that the way to a woman's heart is through salty snacks and ice cream.  Anyway, of course the American tradition of Mother's Day is a little silly and exploitative, but that doesn't mean we still can't enjoy it.

My main gripe about Mother's Day is the advertising on TV, the radio, by friends on Facebook, during baseball games, seemingly everywhere.  Why does the NFL feel the need to remind people that it's Mother's Day?  Why is it important for people to post "Don't forget your mother"?  Why do we assume that every mother out there is deserving of praise and admiration?  Because, let's be honest, some aren't.  There are a lot of awful moms out there.  Irresponsible, lazy, cruel, non-present, hurtful mothers who didn't earn the right to be adored just because they got knocked up.  That might sound harsh, but having a child doesn't make you a hero.  Being a great mom takes a ton of non-stop work and unconditional love, and some moms are not up to par.

I dedicate this post to my Mom and my wife, two outstanding mothers.  They deserve a special day, a special treat, because they've earned it.  Not every mother has, so we ought not to feel obligated into false sentiment just because the TV tells us so.  Tell your mother you love her today and how thankful you are, but only if you mean it.  And if it's true, shouldn't we be saying it every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment