Welcome!

Hello everyone, and welcome to 111 Archer Avenue. What started as a film review blog has become my online judgment forum. I will review the occasional movie or DVD, post an interesting trailer, critique a newly-read book, talk about sports, and share my thoughts and opinions on random issues. You can also follow me on Twitter (@OlieCoen) or check out my work on DVDTalk.com. Thank you and enjoy!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Movie Review - Swinging with the Finkels


Director: Jonathan Newman
Starring: Mandy Moore, Martin Freeman, Jonathan Silverman
Year: 2011

Sometimes you watch a movie with the knowledge that it won't be any good.  That might seem close-minded, but come on, sometimes you can just tell.  I felt that way about this film from the get-go, but I kinda wanted to see it anyway.  I mean, who isn't intrigued by the idea of Mandy Moore in a romantic comedy about swingers?  She's just so goody-goody, so bubble gum, that I wanted to see how she would handle a more adult role.  And, honestly, I thought it might be hot.  But still, I knew Swinging with the Finkels would be a bad film and yes of course it was.  The one or two quick scenes of Mandy Moore making sexual reference weren't enough to mask a horrible plot, terrible acting, and an overall bad movie.

The Finkels are a married couple who've gone dry.  They don't have kids, they both have busy careers, and they just don't have a passion for each other anymore.  It looks like things are headed towards a breakup, when Ellie Finkel has a brilliant idea; swinging.  Maybe what the pair need is some spice, a little glimpse over the fence to see if the grass is greener.  At first Alvin Finkel doesn't know what to think about his wife proposing that he sleep with another woman, but he's willing to take one for the team and give it a try.  Of course, it isn't as simple as that, and both Ellie & Alvin find that their happiness isn't that easily saved, that a good marriage takes hard work.

This movie is disappointing.  I mean, I knew it wasn't going to be great, but it didn't even end up being about swinging, or even sex for that matter.  It started out a little humorous, a little adult, but quickly became just another stupid comedy that turned into a lesson on life.  It was never very funny, no one actually made me laugh the entire time I don't think.  And the acting was awful, just awful, from Mandy Moore to Martin Freeman, Jonathan Silverman to Jerry Stiller.  The only memorable part of the whole film was when Moore masturbated with a cucumber.  It was done more silly than sexy, but it was surprising to say the least.  Other than that, the movie was a big dull dud that seemed a cheap knockoff of better films, like When Harry Met Sally.  Now there's a good romantic comedy; go watch that one instead.

My rating: ✰ ✰

No comments:

Post a Comment