So far it's been a very entertaining year of baseball. The season is over halfway done and it's time for a look at where the teams stand right now and how off my predictions were from the beginning of the season. The teams are in order of how I thought they would end up, with their actual current rank next to their name:
- Red Sox - (5th, 43-52) Didn't see this coming, but they still have some time.
- Yankees - (3rd, 47-47) Pitching injuries have really hurt them.
- Rays - (4th, 44-53) Not surprising, they're just not exciting anymore.
- Orioles - (1st, 52-42) With the Sox & the Yanks struggling they step up.
- Blue Jays - (2nd, 49-47) They'll drop back down by season's end.
- Tigers - (1st, 53-38) No shocker here, one of the best teams in MLB.
- Indians - (3rd, 47-47) Still could end up being more than mediocre.
- Royals - (2nd, 48-46) Pretty much where I expected them.
- White Sox - (4th, 45-51) Abreu has been exciting at least.
- Twins - (5th, 44-50) Down at the bottom where their talent dictates.
- Rangers - (5th, 38-57) What a disappointment. No coming back.
- Athletics - (1st, 59-36) I was wrong, they can repeat last year.
- Angels - (2nd, 57-37) A strong team right in the hunt.
- Mariners - (3rd, 51-44) Not a pushover team at all.
- Astros - (4th, 40-56) Bad as expected, but not Ranger bad.
- Braves - (2nd, 52-43) Tied for 1st place, will make noise in the playoffs.
- Phillies - (5th, 42-53) Should be better; Utley can't do it all.
- Nationals - (1st, 51-42) Only a matter of time before Atlanta takes control.
- Mets - (3rd, 45-50) Another "rebuilding year" for the Metropolitans.
- Marlins - (4th, 44-50) They're not laughable, but they're not great.
- Cardinals - (2nd, 52-44) Injuries have really hurt them (Molina, Garcia).
- Reds - (3rd, 51-44) Another team with nagging injuries but with hope.
- Pirates - (4th, 49-46) Not a shock they they're just OK.
- Brewers - (1st, 53-43) Won't be at the top of the Central for much longer.
- Cubs - (5th, 40-54) Bad as expected & then they trade away their ace.
- Dodgers - (1st, 54-43) A team that is scary good and could win it all.
- Giants - (2nd, 52-43) Right back at the top where their talent belongs.
- Diamondbacks - (5th, 40-56) Too far behind the Dodgers to matter.
- Rockies - (4th, 40-55) Tulo can't carry the team, though he tries.
- Padres - (3rd, 41-54) Might be 3rd but are worst than that.
Most improved teams: Mariners, Phillies, Giants. (Mariners, Brewers, Giants)
Least successful teams: Astros, Twins, Cubs. (Rangers, Twins, Cubs)
World Series: Red Sox vs Dodgers. (Tigers vs Dodgers)
Post a Comment